Monday, February 4, 2013

Papillon and Pop Tops

Pin It Now! ...or Wishing For Spring!  I'm blogging today watching the snow fall outside my window.  Half a foot so far, and 25 degrees!  I am not so sure Puxatawny Phil knew his head from his bushy little bottom!

There's a color challenge this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments that will get your mind on all things bright and beautiful.  Cherry Cobbler, Pretty in Pink, Melon Mambo, and any neutral.  Whew!  That is a lotta  bright.  And you know I'm not a "bright" crafter (I can't believe I just said that).  

I decided on a flurry of butterflies in brights ~
Originally I thought I'd just do a pop top necklace for the color combo and just go extra tiny with it, but when I was done, I was actually inspired to keep going. So I made the card to match!

The card is a CASE from the spring mini, which was done with smaller butterflies and Pool Party CS, but the sketch is very much the same.  The butterflies are punched from the Tea For Two DSP & the Festival Of Prints stack from Christmastime.  I layered them with the newsprint paper from Tea For Two, sewed a doily on, spritzed it with Pretty In Pink.  I used the Papillon Potpourri stamp set to place some Melon Mambo and watermark butterflies on the Sahara Sand CS base.  I added a Vintage Faceted button and an Itty Bitty heart button, and embellished those with silver glass glitter.  
The pop top necklace!  I am getting hooked on these.  They're cute, easy to make, and the possibilites are endless!  I watched a tutorial video by Melissa Stout to get some tips.  

After smashing the pop top flat in the Big Shot, I used the Collage Curios stamp set, and stamped the background writing in Crumb Cake, then the circular stamp in Melon Mambo.  The tiny center butterfly is stamped in Melon Mambo, then again in Pretty in Pink on a piece of scrap and cut it out.  It's popped up over the Mambo, and then the whole image is covered in Crystal Effects.  A 1/16" punch at the top and a jump ring and chain, and voila!  A cute necklace!
So, do you feel inspired by our color combo this week? Valentine's Day?  Baby girl?  Spring?  I'd love to see what you come up with!  Click here to join in the fun.

SUPPLY LIST:
CARD:
STAMPS: Papillion Potpourri, Family Reunion
PAPER:  Sahara Sand, Melon Mambo, Tea for Two DSP, Festival of Prints Designer Stack
INK: Cherry Cobbler, Melon Mambo, Pretty in Pink, Versamark clear
EMBELLISHMENTS:  Artisan Embellishment Kit (doily), Vintage Faceted button, Itty Bitty heart button, Elegant Butterfly punch, Frost White Shimmer paint (for spritzing), Spritzing tool (pink on doily), Vine Street embossing folder (SAB 2013)

NECKLACE:
STAMPS:  Collage Curios
INK: Melon Mambo, Pretty In Pink, Cherry Cobbler
PAPER: Very Vanilla
EMBELLISHMENTS:  Silver Soda Pop Top, Crystal Effects, 1-1/4" punch, 1/16" punch,
Other:  jump ring, silver chain



6 comments:

  1. Great idea for the necklace! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I like all of the different butterflies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika,
    I can see you were so inspired. Love the necklace and the matching card make it such a desirable duo. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Totally DIG this set, your card and necklace is SOOOOO SMART and freaking cute to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty card and what an adorable necklace! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Pretty!!! The color combo worked perfect!!! Love all the special accents!!!
    Love the new doilies!!! Beautiful necklace!!! Diane

    ReplyDelete